Alpha Gamma Delta

  • Alpha Gamma Delta Chapter House on the campus of Eastern Illinois University

     

    Beta Iota Chapter of Alpha Gamma Delta began as Psi Omega, a local sorority at Eastern Illinois University, on October 19, 1959. The first three founders of the group were Judith Langley, Barbara Buck and Gwen Gibson.

     

    On March 2, 1960, Psi Omega became a chapter of Alpha Gamma Delta. Sigma Chapter of Alpha Gamma Delta from the University of Illinois initiated 15 undergraduates and two alumnae as Beta Iota Chapter in May 1960. The Initiation Service was held in Pemberton Hall with Lou Vogelsang, Grand President; Mary Jane Grimes Flommer, Executive Secretary; and several undergraduate members of Sigma Chapter. The undergraduates who were initiated were: Judith Langley, Broadview; Barbara Buck, Hazel Crest; Kate Stine, Edwardsville; Kay Griffey, Kankakee; Diane Doran, Kankakee; Flo Krause, North Chicago; Gwen Gibson, Homewood; Cynthia Helton, Brocton; Marilyn Foote, Robinson; Nancy Shaw, Paris; Mary Maxwell, Longview; Sandy Bird, Casey. The two alumnae initiated were: Lefell Livesay, Mattoon, and Olive Alexander, Charleston.

     

    On September 24, 1960, Lou Vogelsang officially installed Beta Iota Chapter as the 86th chapter of Alpha Gamma Delta. Beta Iota Chapter became the 10th Greek organization on Eastern’s campus.

     

    Barbara Buck was the first Chapter President. Meetings were held in the basement of Pemberton Hall, until a sorority house was found. The chapter has had four different sorority houses in the span of 30 years. In 1991, Alpha Gamma Delta moved to its present location, Eastern Illinois University’s Greek Court.

 
  • Alpha Gamma Delta Quick Facts!

     

    Jewel - The Pearl

    Flower - Red and Buff Rose

    Mascot - Squirrel

    Colors - Red, Buff, and Green

     

    For more information check out their website!