Sigma Sigma Sigma's History
Sigma Sigma Sigma was founded at Longwood College in Farmville, Virginia on April 20, 1898. Tri-Sigma was founded by eight women. These women looked for many things to come from forming this organization, such as friendships, leadership, and a support group during and after college. The Alpha Chapter adopted Tri Sigma's first constitution in April 1903.
In the early fall of 1938, a small but ambitious group of girls realized the need for a sorority at Eastern Illinois University Teachers College. With the approval and advice of the college president and a faculty member's wife, the ladies submitted their constitution to the faculty committee on student organizations. The Tri Sorores became Alpha Tau Nu, and in the spring of 1940 they claimed 36 members. A very active two year probationary period resulted in numerous accomplishments, proving that sororities did have a definite place on Eastern's campus. Then Alpha Tau Nu made history for Eastern Illinois University by becoming the first national sorority on campus installed by none other than National President, Mabel Lee Walton.